Thursday, March 8, 2012

Robert Roger's Rangers II

Having now finished the book, I can say that my initial disappointment was misplaced. The action het up near the end as the war moved up a gear. Many mentions of Quebec, Quebec city and Montreal as the British invasion if Canada got into full swing, and many ideas for scenarios to be sure.

I did feel a need for more research on my part during and after reading it, so I could place the actions in geography. I feel the book would do well to have either a companion book, or an expanded edition, where maps of the areas spoken of were supplied, and possibly also more information on the actions mentioned to give a broader context. I'm sure these books do exist, but if they don't, they should. Ah, a job for another day. Maybe once I'm retired and have more time on my hands than I know what to do with.

I should (re)mention here, in terms of other blogs covering the era, Flintlock and Tomahawk does a fine job. No, I'm not being paid commission, but I do think it's an apt journal to link to, especially since there's a recent post about a re-enactment of the "Battle on Snowshoes".

Buy your copy from Amazon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment