Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Back from Blighty Bearing Minis

I have just returned from a quick trip back to the UK. Due to the circumstances of my visit, I spent the whole week at my parents house, rather than touring around visiting everyone. This allowed me to spend some time on their loft, looking out and going through my old stuff. Much of which I brought back with me.

I am now in re-possession of the following minis:

GW

House Escher for Necromunda
Wood elves and Sea Elves for WFB.
A couple of Humans that could be either Empire or Bretonnian
Regiment of Renown: Avenging Knights of the Cleansing Flame (Nominally a human unit, but works as High Elf, or even Melnibonean, and seriously, what a name!)

Void

VASA troops for Void (any version)
Also a couple of Syntha, Junkers and Viridian troops in there too (but not enough for a big force)

Urban War (or any of its current incarnations)

Triads
Koralon
Viridians

Whilst I was out there, I also picked up Heroes Villains and Monsters for IHMN, and the Minis set for the Society of Thule, which of course I could order here online, but the Pound is strong against the Canadian dollar so it made sense to buy in pounds rather than in Dollars, and I didn't have to pay shipping.

I left behind a bunch of WFB minis, including High Elves and Empire a dragon and other monsters and a Bloodbowl team, as well as the larger robots and vehicles I have for Void and all my Flintloque/Alternative Armies stock. These can be picked up at a later date, or posted out.

So, all in that's me equipped (or in some cases better equipped) to play 5 new (or old) games that I didn't have the minis for before. I call that a win.

I also brought back my old GW case, which is great for skirmish games, and much easier to take back and forward to the club with my minis of choice in, rather than my larger Army Transport case (Which is great for larger minis, so will still see great use for Warmachine and Hordes). Here are a couple of pics of what it was full of.

Just as an aside, I carried this case through security as hand luggage. I expected to be stopped and have it opened at the x-ray machine, either at Glasgow or Heathrow, but I walked through both times without issue. I was surprised. Maybe the X-ray attendants were gamers.
I'll be posting more pics of some of these that have been painted in the following weeks. I was surprised by the quality of some of my older paint jobs. Despite the fact that my techniques have changed and improved, I think I spent much mire time per mini back then (I painted eyes, something I have since let go, and I didn't use inks or washes at all). Then it'll be on to re basing them, as my basing skills at the time for the most part included swamping the base with Goblin Green, and sprinkling on some green flock (I rarely even plugged the slot on the base).

Whilst there, I also picked up some magazines in W.H. Smiths. The Wargames Illustrated and Wargames Soldiers and Strategy I could have picked up here in time, but Battlegames Magazine is not one that I have seen this side of the Atlantic (maybe someone wants to do something about that). It has something different to offer ovber the other two in the type of articles it prints. Maybe I should post a review of it too.

Meanwhile, back to finishing off this month's Colore ton Monde challenge. Just as well I managed to do the bulk of that before I left, as painting time this last week has been an obvious no-no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment