Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Another challenge, another vignette

Over on La Bricole, a painting challenge has been launched. At first I read it was to paint a vignette, and I got all excited, as I could post the viking vignette I'm currently making, but then I read further, and, to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Battle of Salamanca, they are looking for Napoleonic vignettes. The fact that I need to post a 'nude' picture at the start means I can't sneak in Ol Boney that is languishing half finished in my cupboard (Ok, so more than half finished really, there's no excuse for him not to be done in 1 sitting). Shame shame shame. 2 strikes, but not out.

So, where to go with this? I have a few nude Napoleonics kicking around, mostly French, with a smattering of 95th Riflemen in there too. I could go with a command base for my French column, that might work.

I am also tempted to go over to the other side of the Atlantic, for the other war in 1812, but that means a shopping spree on the internet for minis.

Family commitments mean I'll be unlikely to get much done on either vignette in the next 3 weeks, but I do have time to plan this one, as it's not due till September. Time to go reading up on the burning of Washington, there's sure to be something there that will make an interesting little stand.

4 comments:

  1. Great to see you're joining the competition Derek! With a little luck we might even be able to use that vignette in our next Nap game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping I'll get to join in the challenge, but time away from the painting table this month makes it unsure. As to getting in a Nap game, I hope it works out! :D

      Delete
  2. Yes, hoping to see that you make an entry. I am sure that we will get a game sometime in the fall. I am about to send out a group email.

    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started to piece this together. The free minis I recieved will be great for a little casualty marker, along with a lot of scratch built extras, as my Napoleonics bits box is not very big.

      Delete