Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Renaissance army: Infantry I

Here's a picture of the box (click to enlarge), as it was handed to me. I went through it all last night, trying to put it into some kind of order, and figure out what went with what. It was mostly in order in terms of units, with some small number of individual figures left at the end that I'm unsure where to put. Thankfully, these have the look of leader types, and drummers/standard bearers, so I don't think it'll be too hard to put them somewhere useful.

Like I said, I went through them photographing what I have gained, and will stick them up here for 2 reasons. Firstly, that those in the know may tell me what I have got my grubby hands on (in terms of the units they represent, and possibly even the manufacturer), and secondly that I myself may have a record (as these have all been re boxed and put away at the back of the cupboard till I find a rule set, and more importantly, an opponent.

In general, they were all in good condition. Only a few pikes had fallen off, and from what I can tell only one or two are missing (and these are the smaller ones from the mounted javeliners). The painting was well done, for the most part to good tabletop standard, with a couple of flourishes here and there which raise the bar. The consistency of the painting, especially the stripes impressed me. I doubt I'll ever finish an army to this standard for sure.

Anyway, on to the pictures, the first batch at least (as always, click for larger pics).


Artillery Crew. No guns came with the army, but I'm sure these will be easy to find, and are well withing my skill to paint.

Billmen?

Crossbowmen.

Crossbowmen with flute.

The only unpainted minis in the box. Leaves me something to do.

Greatswordsmen

Halberdiers

I shall call you the Marigolds. Long may your flowers bloom!

Halberdiers with flute and leader.

Handcannons.

There's something about these guys I like a lot. I think it's the cartridge belts.



Spanish Swordsmen, replete with bucklers. I think this is my favourite unit.

Closeup of the swordsmen pennant.

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, but I can take none of the credit. I am rather happy to have been given them though.

      Delete
  2. You can find various size of brass cannons at Udisco. That's where I went for my pirate project, and I was able to find different enough sizes to do broadside cannons and small carronades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. Thanks. Generally I avoid going in there, it's very bad for the wallet.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thanks for passing the details on to me about these minis.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes it is, all I need to do now is find an opponent!

      Delete